Carrie [Collector's Edition]
"An all-stops-out scare-show!" – Los Angeles Times
Based on the best-selling Stephen King novel, this "absolutely spellbinding horror movie" (Roger Ebert) has become a pervasive, pop-culture touchstone for anyone who's ever wanted to get even. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie deliver Oscar®-nominated* performances and John Travolta and Amy Irving are terrific in this ultimate revenge fantasy that has become one of the all-time great horror classics, and is now, finally, offered as a definitive, two-disc Collector's Edition Blu-ray!
At the center of the terror is Carrie (Spacek), a high school loner with no confidence, no friends... and no idea about the extent of her secret powers of telekinesis. But when her psychotic mother and sadistic classmates finally go too far, the once-shy teen becomes an unrestrained, vengeance-seeking powerhouse who, with the help of her "special gift," causes all hell to break loose in a famed cinematic frenzy of blood, fire and brimstone!
Released a few days after Halloween in 1976, it’s considered one of the great American horror films. A box-office hit with two Oscar nominations for acting, it contains one of the genre’s most memorable images and an ending that has been ripped off dozens of times.
It also gave a career lift to a young novelist named Stephen King.
Yet revisit “Carrie” 40 years later, as you can do on a new Blu-ray version from Shout! Factory, and you might think, “This ... is not that scary.” A high school drama, yes. A resonant look at the emotional damage caused by bullying, yes. But a horror movie? Not so much.
“I never really approached it as a horror movie,” said its director, Brian De Palma, who scored his first hit with the film. “It’s more of a character piece. She does go berserk after she gets hit with the bucket of blood, but until then, not really. What made this really good — both the book and the film — is that it capsulized everyone’s high school experience of being an outsider.”
Read more at The New York Times.
- --- DISC 1 ---
- NEW 4K Scan Of The Original Negative
- Theatrical Trailer
- Carrie Franchise Trailer Gallery
- --- DISC 2 ---
- NEW Interviews With Writer Lawrence D. Cohen, Editor Paul Hirsch, Actors Piper Laurie, P.J. Soles, Nancy Allen, Betty Buckley, William Katt, Edie McClurg, Casting Director Harriet B. Helberg And Director Of Photography Mario Tosi
- NEW Horror's Hallowed Grounds – Revisiting The Film's Original Locations
- Acting Carrie – Interviews With Actors Sissy Spacek, Amy Irving, Betty Buckley, Nancy Allen, William Katt, Piper Laurie, Priscilla Pointer and P.J. Soles And Art Director Jack Fisk And Director Brian De Palma
- Visualizing Carrie – Interviews With Brian De Palma, Jack Fisk, Lawrence D. Cohen, Paul Hirsch
- A Look At "Carrie: The Musical"
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Still Gallery – Rare Behind-The-Scenes Photos
- Stephen King And The Evolution Of Carrie Text Gallery
|Director||Brian De Palma|
|Writer||Lawrence D. Cohen|